Strive to Thrive, a community-wide wellness initiative, begins August 2019 and runs through August 2020. The health department will host learning sessions, hands on programming, nutrition classes, physical activity classes, and other ways to address the 7 areas of health. Participants will sign up for a point tracking system, and will have the opportunity to earn points for all that they do on their way to achieve whole health. Participants have the opportunity to win cash or other prizes for the steps that they have taken to improve themselves. The health department will check in with participants and provide that extra bit of encouragement that they will need. Strive to Thrive was identified by the wellness team as an an action that - when combined with other actions in our community - has a reasonable chance of making a difference in reducing chronic disease in our community. This is a new program in our community.
The priority population/customers for Strive to Thrive are anyone 18 years or older who wants to take control of their health, our older at-risk population who may not have control of health issues, and our low income population who cannot afford a whole health wellness program. Strive to Thrive aims to make a difference at the individual level. Implementation will take place at the Clay County Health Department starting August 3rd along side the community health fair. ChallengeRunner will be the main platform that is used to track daily/weekly/monthly activities, which will determine how many points a participant will acquire.
- Strive to Thrive looks at 7 areas of wellness:
- Environmental: Environmental health is more than just litter and pollution. Environmental health also looks at the safety of your home, access to running water, electricity, fire and carbon monoxide detectors and radon mitigation systems. By participating in this program you will be able to receive FREE alarm systems and other goodies that will help you create a safe environment for you and your family!
- Financial: Are you ready for retirement? Do you know the difference between a Roth IRA and a 401K? Have you always wanted to know about how to budget your money and plan for emergencies? Participants in this program will have the chance to hear from professionals about how to relieve the stress that money matters can cause in your everyday life.
- Physical: Participants will be signed up in Challenge Runner, an app that will help you track your goals and give you challenges to help you get in better physical shape. Group classes will be held for FREE, and includes activities for ALL AGES in a safe environment to prevent injury. Special bonus and perks are in store for those that utilize the county rec gym!
- Intellecttual: Have you ever wondered how you can get information on something you wanted to learn more about? Did you realize that even reading a book can help keep your brain healthy? Participants will have a chance to learn new activities and get points toward their total health tracking for activities that help stimulate your brain!
- Occupational: If you have signed up as a business or an organization, the Clay County Health Department will assist you in policy production, safety checks and can lead group classes on safety and harm reduction. We can also provide information to all of your staff about how the health department can serve your employees from the nursing clinic, to the dental clinic, and through traditional public health programs.
- Social: Are you in healthy relationships and friendships? Can you communicate with your children in a way that is effective? Social health is tied to mental health in many ways. As a participant you will be able to have special access to classes that will have you surrounded with those that also are wanting to improve themselves. BUILT IN SUPPORT GROUPS! Parenting classes, life-skills, and networking opportunities are just around the corner.
- Spiritual: For some people it is church, for some others finding spiritual peace could be out on the lake fishing. Whatever your preference, these times when we can bring peace to our souls counts towards wellness! Taking time for yourself can translate to points to win cash!