Clear Impact logo


% of Vermont’s rivers and lakes (excluding Lake Champlain) that meet State water quality standards for fishing

Current Value




Line Bar

Story Behind the Curve

This data is compiled and analyzed every two-years/bi-annually. The percentage of rivers and streams fully supporting aquatic life has decreased slightly (2%) from the last reporting period. In 80% of Vermont's rivers and streams, the aquatic organisms are considered healthy and support fishing uses. The remaining 20% are either impaired (due to pollution or altered flow/hydro dams that don't currently meet water quality standards) or the health of the aquatic biota is unknown. Over time, updated assessment data shows areas where we have been successful in river and stream restoration as well as areas where we have identified new impairments or alterations, making overall progress slow. Implementation of regulatory and voluntary measures is expected to help improve the water quality of our rivers and streams and their uses for fishing; however, it is expected to take many years to show substantial progress.

Notes on Methodology

Data contained in the ATTAINS assessment database is reviewed and stream miles that are not meeting water quality standards for Aquatic Biota Use are summed and subtracted from the total river miles 

Clear Impact Suite is an easy-to-use, web-based software platform that helps your staff collaborate with external stakeholders and community partners by utilizing the combination of data collection, performance reporting, and program planning.

Scorecard Container Measure Action Actual Value Target Value Tag S A m/d/yy m/d/yyyy