What are the positive factors that are contributing to you reaching your desired result?
- Educational attainment: high levels in the community
- Local resources for families in need: Voice, United Way, Salvation Army, Compassion Corsicana
- Job opportunities: specifically in the industrial field
What are the negative factors that are restricting you from reaching your desired result?
- Communication barriers: Spanish speaking families looking for resources and jobs
- Lack of public transportation: Rural areas hard to reach
- Lack of job opportunities: COVID-19 has exasperated already bad job market
- Limited affordable housing
What populations are the most disadvantaged and what causes these disparities?
- Undocumented residents: language barriers
- Single parent families: lack of childcare (affordable, hours), single income
- Teen parents: lack of education, lack of support, lack of income, cycle hard to break out of
- Grandparents raising grandchildren: unable to save for retirement, no support from CPS/Food Stamps, health issues cause lack of activity
- Single Dads: fewer resources than for moms
- GED/HS Dropouts: hard to find adequate jobs
- Individuals with prior incarcerations: hard to find adequate jobs/housing/assistance/transportation
- Disabled Persons and Families with Children with Disabilities: hard to find adequate jobs/housing/assistance/transportation
Are there foreseeable factors that will affect your work over the next few months to a year?
- Covid-19: Loss of income
- Unemployment: Loss of employment due to shutdown
- Mental health: Loss of connection and mental health, face to face interaction with people limited
- Home school / school: Loss of childcare and strain on returning to work
- Changes in economy: Continued recession and uncertainty
What additional research is needed to better understand the factors that influence the slope of the curve and related disparities?
- How can more public transit be implemented?
- Would it be possible to utilize a non-profit to assist with purchase of transportation / repair / provide fuel, etc.?
- Are there other agency models for assiting families with repairs, fuel costs, etc. to boost transporation options for residents?
- How will COVID-19 effect rates of poverty long-term in our community?