Why Is This Important?
Nebraska Healthy People 2020: Substance Abuse
According to the Centers for Disease Control, there are approximately 88,000 deaths attributable to excessive alcohol use each year, making this the third leading lifestyle-related cause of death for the nation. According to HealthyPeople.gov, in 2005 an estimated 22 million Americans struggled with a drug or alcohol problem. Almost 95 percent of people with substance use problems are considered unaware of their problem. Of those who recognize their problem, 273,000 have made an unsuccessful effort to obtain treatment. Substance abuse contributes to costly social, physical and mental health problems, with detrimental impacts on individuals, families and communities. Substance abuse is linked with other public health issues, including teenage pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, domestic violence, child abuse, motor vehicle crashes, physical fights, crime, homicide and suicide.
This scorecard is created to track performance, therefore the demonstration of data within color markers identifies the boundaries of what we define as success. In some instances, a trend may be moving in the wrong direction, but still may be within our 'Target for Success' area. The use of Color Bands and Color Arrows help to define the Target for Success and Current Progress.
Green, Black and Red arrows are used to reflect our 'Current Progress' status.
- GREEN Arrow = We're getting better!
- BLACK Arrow = We're maintaining our position.
- RED Arrow = We're going in the wrong direction.
Green, Yellow or Red color bands are used to reflect our 'Target for Success' zones.
- GREEN Color Band = We've reached our Target for Success!
- YELLOW Color Band = We're making progress, but not quite there yet.
- RED Color Band = We're below our Target for Success.
Data is described with the Time Period, Actual Value, Target Value, Current Trend and Baseline Change %. These mean:
- Time Period - The most current time period for which the data were available.
- Actual Value - The actual level of achievement, the most current data point for the indicator; also shown in a Color Band to reflect if that value is or is not within our Target for Success zone.
- Target Value - The desired level of achievement for the data indicator.
- Current Trend - The direction of progress is shown by a Color Arrow to reflect our Current Progress status, and also noting for how many data points the direction been occurring.
- Baseline Change % - The percentage of change between the baseline data point and the current data point (actual value); also shown with a Color Arrow to describe Current Progress status.