Why Is This Important?
Nebraska Healthy People 2020: Cancer
Cancer is a group of diseases that are characterized by uncontrolled growth and spread of abnormal cells. If the spread of these cells is not controlled, death can result. According to HealthyPeople.gov, continued advances in cancer research, detection, and treatment have resulted in a decline in both incidence and death rates for all cancers. Among people who develop cancer, more than half will be alive in 5 years. Yet, cancer remains the leading cause of death in Nebraska, and second overall in the mortality declines for female breast cancer, lung cancer, colorectal cancer, and prostate cancer, other types of cancer (e.g. thyroid and liver) have increased. Many cancers are preventable by reducing certain risk factors, including the use of tobacco products, physical inactivity and poor nutrition, obesity, and exposure to ultraviolet exposure. Screening can be an effective tool for the early identification of certain types of cancer.
This scorecard is created to track performance, therefore the demonstration of data within color markers identifies the boundaries of what we define as success. In some instances, a trend may be moving in the wrong direction, but still may be within our 'Target for Success' area. The use of Color Bands and Color Arrows help to define the Target for Success and Current Progress.
Green, Black and Red arrows are used to reflect our 'Current Progress' status.
- GREEN Arrow = We're getting better!
- BLACK Arrow = We're maintaining our position.
- RED Arrow = We're going in the wrong direction.
Green, Yellow or Red color bands are used to reflect our 'Target for Success' zones.
- GREEN Color Band = We've reached our Target for Success!
- YELLOW Color Band = We're making progress, but not quite there yet.
- RED Color Band = We're below our Target for Success.
Data is described with the Time Period, Actual Value, Target Value, Current Trend and Baseline Change %. These mean:
- Time Period - The most current time period for which the data were available.
- Actual Value - The actual level of achievement, the most current data point for the indicator; also shown in a Color Band to reflect if that value is or is not within our Target for Success zone.
- Target Value - The desired level of achievement for the data indicator.
- Current Trend - The direction of progress is shown by a Color Arrow to reflect our Current Progress status, and also noting for how many data points has the direction been occurring.
- Baseline Change % - The percentage of change between the baseline data point and the current data point (actual value); also shown with a Color Arrow to describe Current Progress status.