Why Is This Important?
Nebraska Healthy People 2020: HIV/AIDS
According to HealthyPeople.gov, an estimated 1.1 million Americans are living with HIV, and one-fifth of these are unaware that they have HIV. HIV continues to spread, causing approximately 56,000 new infections each year in the United Staes. Advances in treatment have slowed the progression of HIV infection to Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS). Nevertheless, HIV and AIDS continue to be a major public health crisis in the United States. Nearly three-fourths of HIV infections occur in men, and half of these occur in gay and bisexual men. HIV also tends to occur at higher rates among African Americans in the United States. Preventable risk factors for HIV and AIDS include unprotected sex and the use of injected non-prescription drugs.
This scorecard is created to track performance, therefore the demonstration of data within color markers identifies the boundaries of what we define as success. In some instances, a trend may be moving in the wrong direction, but still may be within our 'Target for Success' area. The use of Color Bands and Color Arrows help to define the Target for Success and Current Progress.
Green, Black and Red arrows are used to reflect our 'Current Progress' status.
- GREEN Arrow = We're getting better!
- BLACK Arrow = We're maintaining our position.
- RED Arrow = We're going in the wrong direction.
Green, Yellow or Red color bands are used to reflect our 'Target for Success' zones.
- GREEN Color Band = We've reached our Target for Success!
- YELLOW Color Band = We're making progress, but not quite there yet.
- RED Color Band = We're below our Target for Success.
Data is described with the Time Period, Actual Value, Target Value, Current Trend and Baseline Change %. These mean:
- Time Period - The most current time period for which the data were available.
- Actual Value - The actual level of achievement, the most current data point for the indicator; also shown in a Color Band to reflect if that value is or is not within our Target for Success zone.
- Target Value - The desired level of achievement for the data indicator.
- Current Trend - The direction of progress is shown by a Color Arrow to reflect our Current Progress status, and also noting for how many data points the direction been occurring.
- Baseline Change % - The percentage of change between the baseline data point and the current data point (actual value); also shown with a Color Arrow to describe Current Progress status.