Why Is This Important?
Nebraska Healthy People 2020: Nutrition and Weight Status
The prevalence of obesity among adults, adolescents and children has risen considerably over the past two decades in the United States. Being overweight or obese often results in a variety of health problems and has been linked to increased risk of death. According to HealthyPeople.gov, being overweight or obese substantially raises the risk of being diagnosed with heart disease and stroke, high blood pressure, elevated blood cholesterol levels, type 2 diabetes, endometrial cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, colon cancer, gallbladder disease, arthritis, sleep disturbances, and breathing problems. Obese persons (both children and adults) may also suffer from social stigmatization, discrimination and lowered self-esteem.
This scorecard is created to track performance, therefore the demonstration of data within color markers identifies the boundaries of what we define as success. In some instances, a trend may be moving in the wrong direction, but still may be within our 'Target for Success' area. The use of Color Bands and Color Arrows help to define the Target for Success and Current Progress.
Green, Black and Red arrows are used to reflect our 'Current Progress' status.
- GREEN Arrow = We're getting better!
- BLACK Arrow = We're maintaining our position.
- RED Arrow = We're going in the wrong direction.
Green, Yellow or Red color bands are used to reflect our 'Target for Success' zones.
- GREEN Color Band = We've reached our Target for Success!
- YELLOW Color Band = We're making progress, but not quite there yet.
- RED Color Band = We're below our Target for Success.
Data is described with the Time Period, Actual Value, Target Value, Current Trend and Baseline Change %. These mean:
- Time Period - The most current time period for which the data were available.
- Actual Value - The actual level of achievement, the most current data point for the indicator; also shown in a Color Band to reflect if that value is or is not within our Target for Success zone.
- Target Value - The desired level of achievement for the data indicator.
- Current Trend - The direction of progress is shown by a Color Arrow to reflect our Current Progress status, and also noting for how many data points the direction been occurring.
- Baseline Change % - The percentage of change between the baseline data point and the current data point (actual value); also shown with a Color Arrow to describe Current Progress status.