What We Do
By 2027, we plan to eliminate disparities in infant mortality in Buncombe County, changing the current 2015 data indicating that African-American babies die at 3.1 times the rate of White babies. To drive and sustain this change, we will engage community members and organizations and health care providers and administrators to advocate for institutional policies that address structural racism, implicit bias, access to care, and social determinants of health. In collaboration with community leaders, we will promote increased access to preventive services in community-based settings (particularly for African- American women of childbearing age) and create systemic change in the way that women in Asheville access and utilize care.
Mother to Mother
Sistas Caring 4 Sistas
Pisgah Legal Services
Children First/Communities in Schools of Buncombe County
North Carolina Center for Health and Wellness at UNC Asheville
Nurse Family Partnership
Buncombe County Health and Human Services
Buncombe County Community Engagement Team
Community Care of Western North Carolina
What We Do
Story Behind the Curve
How We Impact
1. Support and sustain SistasCaring4Sistas (SC4S) (Doulas Social Entrepreneurship Community Initiative)
2. Create a guide of community resources for addressing clients' social determinant needs for SC4S to use to refer clients
3. Improve understanding of community fears and concerns related to health care and social services to make better connections to resources and sustain relationships
1. Administrative approval and implementation of evidence-based referral and intake processes to ensure Buncombe County residents at greatest risk for a low birth weight, pre-term, infant death as a result of structural racism receive doula care through MAHEC.
2. Integrate community voice into clinic structure and OB decision making by routinely collaborating with Mother to Mother and SC4S to improve patient experience.
3. Provide clinical education and ongoing training for MAHEC staff regarding racial equity.
1. Provide resources and clinical community connections to bolster Success Equation's existing advocacy work at local, regional, state and federal levels as it aligns with NC Perinatal Strategic Plan.
2. Provide resources and leadership to support policies necessary to realize guidelines, funding and sustainability for doulas in Buncombe County.